Found a very basic boater-style straw hat at ALDO of all places. Was one of those moments where the light bulb went off and I could see the perfect accessory for the country lolita dress that I made last year.
Last weekend I pulled together all the bits-and-bobs from my sewing and crafting supplies which included:
- the new straw hat
- left over fabric from my dress
- a few pieces of decorative lace
- a handful of silk and artificial flowers (from JoAnn Fabrics)
- a new hot glue gun and glue sticks (from Michael’s Crafts)
This is one of the easiest do it yourself projects I have done in years. I made a simple band out of my left over fabric. Was going to trim it in lace that matched my dress but changed my mind. I didn’t want to go overboard, especially since the whole objective of the dress I made was for it to be unfussy.
It took a little while to glue down the floral lace to the brim of the straw hat. I worked flower by flower and using only a small drop of the glue. I wanted to make sure and preserve the delicacy of the lace.
Adding the flowers was a piece of cake. Started with a pretty good glob of glue where I wanted to place the big roses. Finished them off with some strategic placement of glue in well concealed areas to make sure they were securly attached. Added just two leaves and a handful of much smaller flowers in the vacant spaces between the roses and the hat.
It was that simple.
Now I have the perfect accessory to match my summer jumperskirt! Can’t wait to try it out.