kimono pillow applique

I like to look on the bright side of things.  So thanks to Hurricane Sandy I am making fantastic progress again on my Anthropologie-inspired, kimono applique pillow!  Was really happy to have a hand-sewing project ready and waiting when I was stuck indoors for three days with no place to go – or rather no way to go anywhere.

I folded the base fabric in half and made a finger press to indicate the center.  Used this as the basis to line up the first row of chevrons.  I pulled out the pattern to make sure I got the angle right.  And then I held my breath and went for it.

anthropologie pillow diy

Two rows are complete and the third is pinned down ready to go.  Applique is not something I do very often, so am please thus far with my progress.  There is one piece that is driving my nuts and I most likely will rip it out and redo it.  But for now I am going to keep on with the rest of the pieces first and see how everything looks once I have more done.

I would love to be able to give the piece a good ironing… but that will have to wait when we have our power restored.  They aren’t giving out great estimates yet; I have heard anywhere from 6 to 10 days. As the weekend is upon us, that means I have two more days to sew away.  Let’s see how far I get in that time.

Update 4: Applique Pieces Basted
Update 3: Ready to Begin Applique
Update 2: Finalizing the Pattern
Update 1: Pattern for Perfect Corners
Kickoff: Anthro & West Elm Inspiration