Next weekend is International Lolita Day. This weekend is, OMG what am I going to wear day. Finally settled on wanting to wear Angelic Pretty’s Decoration Dream from 2011. Found it at Closet Child in Harajuku when I was on vacation. Couldn’t beat the price but knew it was going to need some work to fit over my, ahem, non-Japanese figure. I find Baby the Stars Shine Bright to be more forgiving both in width and length. It is never so with Angelic Pretty.
This week’s sewing lesson, waist ties are a fuller-figure girl’s best sewing friend! Throwing caution to the wind, I drafted a few different option to increase the waist dimension about 3-4 inches. And the hope was to also increase the length if possible, otherwise the straps would also need to be altered. Wanted to only take on one major change and not two. And it worked out like a charm.
Earlier this week I received the latest Lolita Sewing Book (乙女のソーイングBOOK 3) from Kinokuniya. Put it to good use right away to draft a new waist band for the skirt. If I learned anything in art school it was always have what you will know will work as option 2, and what you think would be innovative and ideal as option 1. I knew I could use the waist ties to just make a basic rectangular waist band and add some elastic in the back. But that is boring. So for the ideal but more complicated option I was inspired by the waist band on the skirt on page 17 of the new book.
After an outrageous amount of stitch ripping, I ironed the waist ties and cut them into 5 1/2 inch sections. I transferred the pattern from the book onto tracing paper and added about 2 inches to the pattern in order to let the waist band cross over a bit in the back. I should mention I only cut one of the waist ties to begin with (just in case the creative idea didn’t work). I then did my best to realign the pieces to match the curvature of the pattern. It was a bit tricky and I didn’t exactly get all the fabric to line up on grain. After sewing the one tie back together into its new configuration I knew it was OK to go for it with the other one. Decided to reuse the 2 bows from the ties to embellish the front panel of the new waist band. As it is now much taller, without the adornment, it would have looked odd left bare.
I did my best to make the flap above the zipper nice and neat. My math didn’t exactly work out as you can see by the imperfections. But It isn’t a disaster and I can live with it. Used 3 pink snaps to finish it off. The snaps also came from vacation. Purchased them from Tomato in Nippori. The skirt came with a basic latch clasp but I think snaps make a much cleaner finish and hold better.
Inside I used a solid pink fabric to line the new waist band. Hand stitched the inside edge to make it tidy. I know no one will be able to see it, but that’s how I like to roll.
All-in-all it has some issues, but only if you are really checking it out. Pretty proud of my achievement. The waist band is triple its original height giving the straps at least an extra 2 inches for my long torso. You can see the difference in the above photo. I used every last bit of the ties so the only fabric that remains is the original waist band. Can’t make much out of it, but perhaps a small hair bow maybe. Also not sure what to do with the lace that came off the ties. For now have added it to my stash for another day.
Only trouble is, now I need to find a good pair of matching socks for ILD… hum. Guess it is a good thing, that by shear dumb luck thanks to work, I get to spend a day in San Francisco this week! AP & Baby here I come!