Remake: Rabbits in the Garden Wicker Purse

The past couple weeks have been fun, started back to Japanese lessons and then there were the fashion shows. On the flip side that means my sewing has slowed down. Still have a few things to post but need to get back in gear as I have set a lofty goal with my summer project line up. Before my mini break, I completed the second of several items in the Garden Party coordinate project.

garden party rabbit wicker lolita purse

Once I finished the Rabbit Apron my attention shifted to a remake of a vintage wicker hand bag. This is turning to be an annual summer event as last year you might recall I remade another wicker purse to go with a Baby, the Stars Shine Bright cherry dress.

quality lace braid and beading used for embellishments

how to upcycle a vintage wicker purse

Did I start this post saying I completed this bag? Well that is not exactly true.  I still need to do something to the interior of the purse. Right now it is gingham which is absolutely charming but is not in keeping with the color palette and styling of the rest of the outfit. Fussing over the details is important to make a good project be great. Which is why during all of this I also add a couple of bows to the apron to make the lacing feel more finished.

recover-interior-of-old-wicker-handbag

Materials for lace wrist cuffs have been cut and I just need to finish them but have been distracted by a couple other items so hope to wrap those up soon. So all-in-all off to a good start on my list of to-dos but can’t slack off anytime soon. Thank you summer for the motivating sunshine and energy! よし、がんばれます。

Handmade: Rosette of Silk, Lace & Roses

classic lolita rose lace and ribbon rosette

I don’t know what happened, but I have been possessed with gluing artificial flowers onto anything and everything lately. Actually I do know what happened. Misako’s visit to NY and latest trends in Gothic Lolita fashion made their mark on me. In particular a departure from over-the-top sweet to a mix of more classic styling but with the introduction of more pastels into what was previously dominated by jewel tones. That and the many many floral hair accessories that are everywhere now even in other fashion style trends.

I recently picked up Baby, the Stars Shine Bright Some Day of Ranunculus, a print from last summer. It was modeled in last year’s AnimeNEXT fashion show but at the time didn’t wow me. This March, I found the Lycia JSK version in the Harajuku Closet Child and promptly brought it home. Like I said, what I am drawn to now is changing. Ironically the plan is to wear it to this year’s AnimeNEXT – today! But I needed a little something extra to complete my coordinate.

kimono fabric scraps and silk flowers diy

I was amazed at how quick this came together. One morning while enjoying my coffee I pulled all the pink and cream trims lying around and drafted the layout. Pulled a gold silk from my collection of kimono fabric scraps to make the yo-yo. Then on the weekend I hand-stitched a little cream lace and added the big pink bead. Had to be careful when stitching the pink lace to the base so as to keep the nice pleated shape. From that point it was all up to the glue gun.

accessories to match baby some day of ranunculus

We are up bright and early to hit the con today. Kimura U is going to be a guest model in the fashion show this year. Very exciting. So ta for now.

P.S. I’m still trying to figure our why a dress whose name includes ranunculus is covered in roses…

My DIY: Lolita Straw Hat

Found a very basic boater-style straw hat at ALDO of all places.  Was one of those moments where the light bulb went off and I could see the perfect accessory for the country lolita dress that I made last year.

All the materials you will need for your DIY straw hat.

Last weekend I pulled together all the bits-and-bobs from my sewing and crafting supplies which included:

  • the new straw hat
  • left over fabric from my dress
  • a few pieces of decorative lace
  • a handful of silk and artificial flowers (from JoAnn Fabrics)
  • a new hot glue gun and glue sticks (from Michael’s Crafts)

The finished DIY Lolita straw hat.

This is one of the easiest do it yourself projects I have done in years.  I made a simple band out of my left over fabric.  Was going to trim it in lace that matched my dress but changed my mind.  I didn’t want to go overboard, especially since the whole objective of the dress I made was for it to be unfussy.

It took a little while to glue down the floral lace to the brim of the straw hat.  I worked flower by flower and using only a small drop of the glue.  I wanted to make sure and preserve the delicacy of the lace.

Adding the flowers was a piece of cake.  Started with a pretty good glob of glue where I wanted to place the big roses.  Finished them off with some strategic placement of glue in well concealed areas to make sure they were securly attached. Added just two leaves and a handful of much smaller flowers in the vacant spaces between the roses and the hat.

It was that simple.

Country Lolita JSK and Straw Hat.

Now I have the perfect accessory to match my summer jumperskirt!  Can’t wait to try it out.

Sweet Dreams, Sheri