I ♥ Scotties

lolita scottish terrier tartan coordinate

There were a bunch of blog posts recently on the topic of  Lolita Print Themes I’m Dreaming Of.  For me the answer is a no brainer.  I really really really wish the major brands would come out with a Scottish Terrier themed print.  Scotties are so sweet and cheerful and for a dress design would be very iconic.  I fill this void by mixing in many of my rather large collection of scottie accessories into my own coordinates.  As Halloween is fast approaching I went full tilt today.

  1. Scottie Cardigan
    Ages ago Anthropologie released a wool cardigan with a scottie on the side.  It was a favorite winter go-to that I literally wore to pieces.  But the applique was tough and survived after all these years.  So to breathe new life into it, I cut it out and recycled it with a basic heather gray cardigan from Target.  With this redux I added my own personal touch which includes a chiffon collar, a silver dog tag engraved with 愛 {love} and a chain leash that drapes across the torso.
  2. Inu Mimi {Dog Ears} Alice-band
    This item is a bit over the top, and I love it.  Instead of the more popular neko mimi, I decided to make my own inu mimi, or scottie mimi in this case.  Some scrap tartan fabric mixed with black pleather and white fleece make up the base.  A red grosgrain ribbon and a black scottish terrier button adorn one ear.  This is on my top ten list of favorite weekend accomplishments.  I wear it around the house frequently just to be silly.

In the spirit of the Blog Carnival theme – what would your dream print be?

scottie dog lolita accessories

Kawaii French Baret

sweet lolita pink baret

Another project makes its debut – yay!  The classic French baret is a popular item in the Lolita Fashion circle.  But for it to qualify, the baret must take on characteristics common to the alternative fashion style.  I mixed and matched a bit and pulled in an off-white ribbon lace to go with the sweet style and a bow made from kimono silk to pull on the wa {traditional Japanese} style.

diy decorated french baret

For class last night, I paired my latest creation with the most awesome polka dot sweater I found on Asos and a Western take on rocking horse platforms that I found last winter {also from Asos.}  Also tossed in a sweet lolita blouse, kodona {boy style} shorts and some tights.

I ended up clipping another ribbon to my hair, so think I might make a few more kimono bows to sew on to the base of the baret.  It looks great from behind but needs a little something to frame the face when worn.

This was a super easy DIY project, but I am a nutter perfectionist.  I sewed by hand around each and every ribbon in the lace to make it look as if it was embroidered to the baret.  I could have been lazy and run a straight stitch on my sewing machine but it just wouldn’t be as professional.  In the end I am really happy that I invested the extra time and diligence to create a strong piece.

My DIY: Lolita Straw Hat

Found a very basic boater-style straw hat at ALDO of all places.  Was one of those moments where the light bulb went off and I could see the perfect accessory for the country lolita dress that I made last year.

All the materials you will need for your DIY straw hat.

Last weekend I pulled together all the bits-and-bobs from my sewing and crafting supplies which included:

  • the new straw hat
  • left over fabric from my dress
  • a few pieces of decorative lace
  • a handful of silk and artificial flowers (from JoAnn Fabrics)
  • a new hot glue gun and glue sticks (from Michael’s Crafts)

The finished DIY Lolita straw hat.

This is one of the easiest do it yourself projects I have done in years.  I made a simple band out of my left over fabric.  Was going to trim it in lace that matched my dress but changed my mind.  I didn’t want to go overboard, especially since the whole objective of the dress I made was for it to be unfussy.

It took a little while to glue down the floral lace to the brim of the straw hat.  I worked flower by flower and using only a small drop of the glue.  I wanted to make sure and preserve the delicacy of the lace.

Adding the flowers was a piece of cake.  Started with a pretty good glob of glue where I wanted to place the big roses.  Finished them off with some strategic placement of glue in well concealed areas to make sure they were securly attached. Added just two leaves and a handful of much smaller flowers in the vacant spaces between the roses and the hat.

It was that simple.

Country Lolita JSK and Straw Hat.

Now I have the perfect accessory to match my summer jumperskirt!  Can’t wait to try it out.

Sweet Dreams, Sheri