So I needed to open a mailbox for a new business venture and they required two forms of photo ID. The challenge was, at the time, I was commuting between two ends of the country and, well, my Passport was at the other end – only my driver’s license was at hand. The UPS Store says to me, “No problem. Just stop by Costco and get a membership card.” And so my love affair began.
Before then, I would drive by the local Costco and not give it a second glance. I didn’t stick my nose up at it exactly, more I assumed it was for a different target audience, I don’t know, say new parents who need a palette’s worth of diapers. But I was wrong.
Here are my 5 favorite things about Costco and how it helps with Life’s Sweet Essentials.
- The price. I know, no surprise on this one, but Costco is easy on the wallet and therefore great for Life’s Essential #4 – $$$. Because of their buying power as America’s #3 retailer, they get a huge discount that is then passed on to us. While I admit, I personally tend to average a $100 minimum every time, I always walk out with my money’s worth and a heck of a lot more then I get from my local grocer.
- Rebate!! Their Membership Rewards programs are fantastic and again ideal for #4 $$$. And the kicker here is, if you get their American Express card you get a rebate from both!!
- High quality produce. These guys have a huge customer base, and when it comes to Life’s Essential # 1 – Food – Costco has a high turn over which means that the produce is going to be fresh. Did you even know they had produce? I didn’t originally.
- Bulk. If you are a family of 4, no problem, you will benefit from this big time. But even if you are single this is a cool tip. Buy it and share it with 3 of your friends. They chip in for their portion and you get the stuff you need plus your rebate for the full amount of goods. Sweet.
- TVs, pillows, towels and more. I know this is a totally random mix but I have purchased all of these items to help make Life’s Essential #3- Shelter, more cozy. Why pay full price for Pacific Coast down pillows or Sony’s latest LCD big screen TV. Remember discount + rebate = sweet life.
So if you are wondering about the Jusco reference from Kamikaze Girls, here is the deal. While I would normally agree with Momoko – do not buy Life’s Essential #2 – Clothing, from the supermarket… I must admit I have purchased Lacoste Ts and Tommy Bahama shorts from my Costco. Sorry Momoko-san, I too love Baby the Stars Shine Bright … but I have fallen victim to Jusco on occasion.