Project Complete: Handmade Lolita Garden Party Apron

I think my sewing chops just hit a new level. Over the weekend I completed making a lolita apron. As mentioned on the previous mood board, finding the right solution for a very limited amount of this amazing fabric became a mission. Its somewhat terrifying to realize that I didn’t use a pattern. I mentally calculated the whole thing in my head and went for it. Luckily it worked out and I am pleased as punch.

garden party rabbit handmade lolita apron

The fabric I found on Etsy and the main lace came from a visit to Tomato in Nippori, Tokyo. The little daisies on the lace and cream color were a perfect match for the print. Surprisingly, the most difficult task was finding a ribbon the right shade of blue. I had to visit many stores until I settled on one I liked. Even now I wish it was a slightly darker shade.

lolita lace ribbon faux flowers snap and waist ties

Angelic Pretty’s Decoration Dream was a jumping off point for the sizing of the apron top. I’ve never liked how, well there is no polite way to say this, my boobs exceed the width of AP’s top. Decoration Dream just never sits right. So for my apron I adjusted to make it sit nice and flat and cover all the right spots. Another learning from AP was the straps are always slipping off my shoulders unless I criss-cross them in the back. So for my apron I added a nice little bar in the back to hold everything in place.

materials to make lolita lace wrist cuffs similar to baby the stars shine bright

The past couple of days I enjoyed the euphoria that comes with completing a project. But if I am honest this is far from done. That 1 yard of fabric has morphed into a vision for a full coordinate. Already, I’ve cut lace to make matching wrist cuffs. I have metal eyelets/grommets coming in the mail to deco a pair of boots. Then there is a wicker handbag that just arrived and is ready for a hot glue party. Fabric for a matching dress has been yanked out of the stash. The only mystery is what to make for a hair accessory? Do we get into the spirit of the “year of the bonnet” or make an old school headdress?

How To: Make a Ruffle Pillow Tote Bag – Part 3

In Part 1, we made the ruffle, attached it to the tote main pieces and added some trims to personalize. Then in Part 2, we used a few tricks to whip up strong clean straps. So all that is left is to insert the lining. But before we dive in you have to decide if you want to go the extra mile or not? Want to add pockets in your lining? If not, skip the next two steps and jump down below.

optional step to add pockets to your diy tote bag

Most tote bag patterns I have found want you to dangle a pocket from the top of the bag. They insert the pocket as a flap between the seam of the tote body and the lining. On soft bags this drives me nuts because if you put your phone in the pocket than the top of the bag droops down due to the weight. That was when I came up with the idea above to instead put the pockets across the bottom of the bag. Its personal preference and both ways work just fine.

insert the lining and flip right side out

For Step B above, use the same plate from Part 2 of this tutorial. That way the lining and the main fabric will line up properly. Oh, and after Step D you can trim the fabric 1/4″ from the stitch line to match the rounding. This will reduce the bulk in the corners so you get a nice clean finish.

after a simple flip just stitch and you have a brand new tote bag

I took my pillow tote out for a run to Mitsuwa and immediately proceeded to stuff it full of cute stuff from Mars and the book store – and of course tons of candy from the grocery store. By the end I had 2 issues of Cutie magazine, a Jackie Bread The Bears’ School charm, some stickers, a couple onigiri, and matcha Kit Kat and Crunch bars to tote around. That was along with my wallet, make up pouch, keys, phone, and obligatory spring allergies stack of Kleenex. Fairly proud it held up to the task (♥ó㉨ò)ノ♡

handmade cherry gingham ruffle tote bag