Remake: Pastel Sailor Moon Luna Jean Jacket

diy sailor moon jean jacket remake

I like so many other die hard fans am jumping for joy at the release of Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon Crystal this July. Sailor Moon got me through the tedious last days of college and gave me strength when first setting out on my career. While I had seen other anime from Japan this was the first to steal my heart. To celebrate the new release I wanted to make something – anything – to show my support. I opened up my box of Moonie goodies collected over the years and had a brainstorm. What about a decorated jean jacket?

embellish the back with lace and seed beads

sailor moon stars handkerchief diy

Yes, I cut up one of my many Sailor Moon handkerchiefs. I have some fabric but the print just wasn’t right. So I took a very deep breath, placed my ruler carefully following a pattern I made and put the rotary blade down. Swoosh, no going back. Which I am totally cool with because the end result is awesome. The back had such a strong impact with the color of the Luna backpack that the front needed something punchy to create balance.

sailor moon luna stick pin and stars patch

luna cat pink and purple jacket

I think the jacket is still missing something. Have been debating making the sleeves shorter, adding a small red bow below Sailor Moon on the front, and maybe mixing in more beads here and there. I don’t want it to go over the top, but want to push it a little more.

What do you think?

Project Update: Yukata Finishing Touches

Busy, busy, busy bee!  Finished another semester of Japanese; flew back out to St. Louis on a business trip; and have been sewing, sewing, sewing.  For as early as I started my yukata project, I am still cutting it way too close to the deadline.

almost ready for this years natsu matsuri

The design has been altered dramatically from the original vision.  I can no longer call the coordinate lolita in style.  However I am really pleased with the result.  The skirt was the catalyst for the design departure.  While the idea sounded great using two different fabrics (for the blouse and for the skirt) in reality it looked very disjointed.  Worse yet, the pattern on the white fabric had the not-so-flattering optical effect of making the wearer (yours truly) look twice her size.  Not what a girl wants.

Somehow I managed to whip up a new skirt out of the blouse fabric remnants.  My better half is raving about the second-take skirt.  He loves it.  (#^.^#)  But you will have to wait till this weekend to see it!!

Hanhaba Obi (半幅帯)

Little miss ambitious, now happy with the new skirt, decided that the pre-tied obi wasn’t sophisticated enough to match all the hard work that was poured into the yukata.  Yep, as if I wasn’t already crunched on time, last Sunday decided to make my own half width obi to go with my festival coordinate.

adding gold trim to hanhaba obi

I have a couple of hanhaba obi’s in my kimono collection.  One was in pretty bad shape but had the most adorable print.  The intention had been to reuse the good parts of the fabric for a project, but turns out it was the obi lining first in line to be upcycled.

hanhaba obi lining and cover

Learned a ton on this DIY project.  Let the creative process take me to a different direction and what I think was a better result in the end. But can’t get too excited yet, still a few more stitches to go!

Project Update: Wicker Handbag Leather Hinge Upcycle

vintage wicker handbag diy lining repair

As soon as I returned home yesterday I went right to work on my wicker handbag project.  First things first, I had to remove the paper lining.  It was musty and had some spots of mold.  Well and it was really dirty.  No sense in trying to salvage it, simply not worth it.  After removing the paper, there was access to give the handbag a thorough cleaning.  And it sure needed the cleaning.

My original plan was to reuse the original leather hinges and just give them a coat of white paint to spruce them up.  But the leather was in pretty bad shape.

wicker purse leather hinge replacement

I turned to a very recent purchase to replace the leather.  The Baby, the Stars Shine Bright stationary set that arrived last week contained a vinyl diary cover.  Vinyl means no fraying edges and fairly strong material to withstand some use.

diy vintage purse hinge repair

I removed the feet from the purse and used the original leather hinges to make a template.  The leather straps are more decorative than functional.  They cover up a set of metal hinges that are nailed to the bottom of the bag.

btssb strawberry book cover recycled

I increased the width ever so slightly.  The vinyl is not as thick as the original leather so I wanted to ensure good coverage of the metal hinge when all is said and done.  Using a circle template I rounded the corners of the new straps.  The vinyl was easy to cut with an Exacto knife.  To finish them I used a craft hole punch to make nice clean openings for the brass feet to insert into.

Did my best to polish the brass feet before putting it back together again.  I am tickled pink with the result.  I doubt anyone will notice this small detail since it is on the bottom of the purse, but if I am going to all the trouble to upcycle the vintage purse there is no point in half assing it.

I’ve got some chores to attend to this morning, but then I have the rest of the lovely 4th of July holiday to continue working on the handbag.  Should be a fun and rewarding day.

Happy 4th of July!!